Toasting bagels in a toaster oven is a quick and convenient way to enjoy a warm, crispy breakfast or snack. If you’re new to using a toaster oven, you may be wondering how to get the perfect toast on your bagel.
In this guide, I’ll show you how to toast bagels in a toaster oven, including tips on how to adjust the toasting time and temperature for different types of bagels and levels of doneness. Whether you prefer your bagels soft and chewy or crispy and toasty, I got you covered. So let’s get started!
Do You Cut Bagels Before Toasting?
It is generally recommended to cut bagels before toasting them. Cutting the bagel allows the heat to penetrate the inside of the bagel more easily, resulting in a more evenly toasted bagel. It also makes it easier to spread toppings, such as cream cheese or butter, on the cut side of the bagel.
How Long to Toast Bagels in a Toaster Oven?
Toasting bagels in a toaster oven takes between 4 and 6 minutes. The exact time depends on the desired level of doneness. When using the broiler setting, it should take about 2-4 minutes to toast a bagel. It is important to keep an eye on the bagel while it’s toasting and to adjust the toasting time as needed to achieve your desired results.
Toasting Bagels Using The Bagel Setting
The bagel setting works by lowering the power on the bottom heating element. This way it will apply more heat to the cut side of the bagel while applying less heat to the rounded side.
A bagel setting allows you to toast bagels more evenly and have them retain a chewy crust. It ensures that both sides of the bagel are toasted to a consistent level of doneness.
Now that you know how the bagel setting works let’s put it into action:
- Insert the rack in the middle position.
- Put the bagels in the middle of the rack with the cut sides facing up.
- Select the bagel function and the toasting level.
- When everything is set, press start to begin.
The exact toasting time depends on the toasting level you selected. It usually takes around 5 minutes for medium-toasted bagels.
When the timer goes off, the bagels should be toasted to your desired level of doneness. If it is not toasted to your liking, you can adjust the toasting time as needed and toast the bagel for a little longer.
Remove the bagels from the toaster oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before eating. Enjoy your perfectly toasted bagels!
Toasting Bagels Using The Broiler Setting
In case your toaster oven doesn’t have the bagel function you can always use the broiler setting. The broiler only activates the top heating element, giving us a similar effect as the bagel function. This will leave the bagel’s undersides nice and squishy while the top will get browned and toasted.
- Insert the rack in the middle position.
- Place the bagels in the center of the rack with the cut sides facing up.
- Set the toaster oven to broil.
- Broil for 2-4 minutes, depending on how toasted you want your bagels.
- Perform visual inspection and remove the bagels when the middle is gold.
The exact amount of time it takes for a bagel to toast will depend on the type of toaster oven you are using, as well as the desired level of doneness.
It’s best to keep an eye on the bagels while they are toasting and to adjust the toasting time if necessary.
If you’d like to toast the undersides to get that crispy texture, flip the bagels and broil for another 30 to 60 seconds.
How to Toast Frozen Bagels?
The best way to toast frozen bagels is to use the defrost option on your toaster oven. It’s used to thaw and toast frozen food, such as bread or bagels. When you use the defrost option, the toaster oven will extend the toasting time to include defrosting. To do this, select the defrost option after you’ve set everything else and press start.
In case your toaster oven doesn’t have the defrost option, you can use a microwave to defrost the bagels. Put the bagels in the microwave for 30 seconds. Slice them afterward and they are ready for toasting.
Alternatively, you can leave them on the counter to defrost at room temperature. Next, cut them in half and your bagels are ready for toasting.
IMPORTANT: Never try to cut frozen bagels as you could destroy them, or even worse, injure yourself. Instead, defrost them with any of the above-mentioned methods.
Toasted Bagels Topping Ideas
Whether you’re looking for something classic or something a little more adventurous, there are countless ways to dress up your toasted bagel. Next, we’ll explore some creative topping ideas that will elevate your toasted bagel game. From sweet to savory, there’s something here for everyone. So read on and discover some new ways to enjoy your toasted bagels!
- Cream cheese: Spread a generous amount of cream cheese on the cut side of the toasted bagel. You can use plain or flavored cream cheese, such as herbs or chives.
- Butter and jam: Spread a thin layer of butter on the cut side of the toasted bagel, and then top it off with your favorite jam or jelly.
- Peanut butter and jelly: Spread a layer of peanut butter on one half of the toasted bagel, and jelly on the other half. Then put them together for a classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
- Cream cheese and smoked salmon: Spread a layer of cream cheese on the cut side of the toasted bagel and top with smoked salmon, some dill, and sliced red onion.
- Avocado and egg: Smash avocado on the cut side of the toasted bagel, add a fried or scrambled egg, and some salt and pepper.
- Nutella and strawberries: Spread Nutella on one half of the toasted bagel, and top it off with some fresh or frozen strawberries.
- Pesto and mozzarella cheese: Spread some pesto sauce on the cut side of the toasted bagel and add some fresh mozzarella cheese and a sprinkle of tomatoes.
- Pizza bagel: Spread some marinara sauce on the cut side of the toasted bagel, add some mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, and bake for a couple of minutes in the oven till the cheese melt.
These are just a few ideas, but the possibilities are endless! Feel free to experiment and come up with your own unique toppings.
Toaster Oven is One of The Best Ways to Toast Bagels!
Toasting bagels in a toaster oven is a quick and easy way to enjoy perfectly crispy and flavorful bagels. With a little practice and some trial and error, you can find the perfect toasting time and temperature to suit your personal preferences.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different toppings and spreads to create your own unique bagel creations. Whether you’re a bagel purist or a creative chef, toasting bagels in a toaster oven is a tasty and convenient option.